Inspections Day 1. Helping homeowners with house inspections in Florida

I arrived in Miami and checked into the field office and the next day went to orientation for this specific disaster and received my tablet to process the inspections. With all the computer hacking issues going on they are very worried about loosing these tablets as you would imagine,  and hsve been very direct about not loosing them as they are filled with a bunch of personal information. I feel like I am carrying around the nuclear codes or something.

After I first logged in they gave me thirty inspections to complete. They rely on the inspectors to manage them as best they can so it is up to me to make contact with each applicant and schedule the inspection.

For the most part I was able to reach everyone within a day or so. A few people withdrew their applications right then, I believe I still get compensated for the effort so those are nice ones to have. I made fifteen appointments and had a few where they did not speak English. My Spanish is MUEY PICITO, so we have some challenges here. I had some success sending text messages as they were able to get someone to reply for them and make arrangements. Others I am still trying to figure it out.

The tablets have Google translator which I can use when I am in person with them and it is surprisingly effective, highly recommended if you are ever in that situation.

The next day as I was leaving for my first appointment it either started to rain or God turned on a hot shower, it was not the refreshing cool rains I am used to in the PNW. It was literally like a hot shower and not very enjoyable. It was a major down pour, I think there was a tropical storm or something, right as I arrived I received an emergency text stating there was a tornado warning! I haven't delta with that since my Kansas days, but considering the homes here are built with cinder blocks and concrete and they just survived a hurricane I was not to concerned and continued with my work. The applicant was acutely surprised I showed up, not because the tornado but because it was raining.

I heard of a farm recently that also had these "rain days" where they took a break from work due to rain  (looking at you Caterers Farms) but of course I thought this notion to be ridiculous as I had just recently been through six solid months of it raining back home. Nothing would ever get done if we had rain days there. But I know the owner of that farm and he is so sweet he would probably melt if he had to go out in it so I keep my thoughts to myself. I digress ... back to that inspection.

I have to say the computer program we do use is very good. It captures the needed information in a very accurate way and has a good work flow that is easy to follow. My job is to verify the information that was provided and to take pictures accordingly and then send it back to FEMA so they can do their thing.

So, the applicant and I went through all the forms and we talked and looked at all the damage to the home and had a pleasant interaction. He understood the process and seemed to be very pleased with how easy it was as well. He was understanding of the fact that I had little to do with how much assistance he would receive and was satisfied knowing that he would be contacted again by FEMA within ten days with their decision.

The next inspection was with a woman who only spoke Spanish. As I have mentioned Google translator was to the rescue and we made it through hers as well with no major issues. I was told to start slow to pick up the the way things would go and considering I was still recovering from my over night flight I was pretty well spent and that was the end of my day. So back to the hotel to make more calls, appointments and to get ready for the next couple of days with more inspections.